Sunday, April 8, 2012

Curb Appeal: Phase 1

I wanted to share some projects that were spawned by some of my all-too-frequent moments of "Pinsanity". (Bless my husband for staying with me through them all.)

New Stoop

We recently had our concrete stoop replaced with a new one. I don't have any befores, but trust me, it was dangerous and ugly. Did I mention it was ugly? And dangerous? And ugly?

Ta da!

Isn't she lovely? It may just look like a regular, boring ol' stoop, but trust me it's a HUGE improvement. Formerly, the railing on the left was hanging off, the steps were sloping and the iron railing was about 60 years old and showing it. We also said a silent prayer each Halloween that the Trick-or-Treaters would make it up and down safely.

The yellow and green flower pots are from the dollar store.

Landscaping

Our house is on a hill. Which means our front yard is an ugly, spotty slope. We stopped by Behnkes for plants, soil, and mulch and did the labor ourselves (with help from my fantastic mother-in-law and dad). We rarely ask for family help, so this was a huge treat! Couldn't have done it without them!
$250 for plants, mulch, dirt, etc., labor (free)


Notice the ugly dirt spots? Some were there, but also the concrete people spilled concrete everywhere and drove their truck over our yard. We need to grow back some stuff. We're also hoping the juniper and other ground coverings will spread out in a few years. But...progress is better than nothing, right??

 

$8 Mailbox Makeover

While our front stoop was being worked on, our rusty, boring black mailbox was taken down temporarily. I couldn't help but cover it in Rustoleum's Sun Yellow.
Rustoleum's Sun Yellow ($4), Chalkboard Paint ($3), Mailbox (had), Wooden Piece ($1)
I change my mind and style all the time, so I also added some chalkboard paint so I could put up a monogram, our house number or a quick "thanks bra" to the mailman.


Quick and Simple $9 Wreath

Then it was onto a wreath. I'm inpatient, so I wanted to just wind some yarn around a wreath form and then I free-handed some petals out of felt.

Time: Half-hour or less
Cost: $5 yarn, form wreath form $4, felt (I already had), pins (had)

Next on our list is to get a stunning light fixture (I'm thinking something circular and modern, perhaps hanging, I want to paint the door and get a new door knob--in something other than "brass".)
Have you found any low-cost ways to up your home's curb appeal?

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, this is a HUUUUUUGE improvement - I can't wait to not trip on your stairs anymore ;-) ! I adore the plantings... if you decide to make another trip to Behnkes, LMK - I wanna go TOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's an improvement, but I'm still feeling some ugliness that needs fixing! I'd love to go to Behnkes with you.

    ReplyDelete